HARRISBURG, Feb. 12, 2014 – Sen. Judy Schwank will give students from 15 Berks County schools another first-hand glimpse of life as a state lawmaker on Feb. 18 during the third of five sessions in her Berks County Model Senate.
The third session will be held at Albright College and it will include “Senate Committee Hearings” where student senators will listen to and cross examine testimony on the bills created by the model legislators. The witnesses “subpoenaed” will be from:
- The Department of Environmental Protection – Testifying on SB 21 and SB 35 (Natural Gas Funding the Future Act and Alternative Industrial Energy Act)
- The Berks County District Attorney’s office – Testifying on SB 27 and SB 26 (Medical Marijuana Act and Recreational Marijuana Act)
- The Penn State Berks Agricultural Extension – Testifying on SB 19 (Agricultural Revitalization Act)
- Berks Abilities in Motion – Testifying on SB 24 (Office of Disabled Persons Act)
- Major Colin Devault, Salvation Army – Testifying on SB 25 ( Office of Non-profit Community Organizations Act)
- Gregg Shemanski, president, Custom Processing Services – Testifying on SB 34 (Integration of Technology and Science in Education Act)
Media coverage is encouraged.
WHO: Sen. Judy Schwank
WHAT: Third Session of Sen. Schwank’s “Model Senate” (Committee Hearings)
WHEN: 12 p.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday, Feb 18
WHERE: Albright College’s Student Center – South Lounge, 1621 N. 13th St, Reading