Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
What is LIHEAP?
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low-income families pay their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant. You do not have to repay it.
To receive help…
- Apply between Nov. 1, 2019 and Apr. 10, 2020.
- You don’t have to be on public assistance
- You don’t need to have an unpaid heating bill
- You can either rent or own your home
How does LIHEAP work?
LIHEAP offers both cash and crisis grants. Families may apply for:
Cash grants help families pay their heating bills.
The one-time payment is sent directly to your utility company or fuel provider, and it will be credited on your bill. (In some cases, the check may be mailed to you directly.) Cash grants range from $200-$1000 and are based on household size, income, and fuel type.
Crisis grants may be available if you have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your heat. You can receive more than one Crisis grant, as necessary, during the season until the maximum benefit of $600 is reached.
Crisis situations include:
- Broken heating equipment or leaking lines that must be fixed or replaced
- Lack of fuel
- Termination of utility service
- Danger of being without fuel (less than a 15 day supply) or of having utility service terminated (received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days)
If you have a heating emergency please call your local county assistance office (CAO).
How do I apply?
- Apply online at: www.compass.state.pa.us
- Request an application by calling the Statewide LIHEAP Hotline at 1-866-857-7095 or call PA Relay at 711 for the hearing impaired.
- Applications are available at your local CAO
To apply, you will need
- Names of people in your household
- Dates of birth for all household members
- Social Security Numbers for all household members
- Proof of income for all household members
- A recent heating bill
Who is eligible?
|Household Size||Income Limit|
|For every additional person, add $6,720|
After your application is processed, you will receive a written notice that will tell you if you qualify. If eligible, it will tell you the amount of your grant.
For more information on the program and qualifications, visit http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/heatingassistanceliheap/.