Harrisburg, Pa − April 30, 2019 − Sen. Judy Schwank (D-Berks) today announced the following state funding for school and community safety in the 11th Senate District, which Schwank represents:
- Berks Career and Technical Center, $367,626;
- Brandywine Heights Area School District, $562,775;
- Exeter Township School District, $393,632;
- Fleetwood Area School District, $23,222;
- Reading Muhlenberg Career and Technology Center, $63,429;
- Schuylkill Valley School District, $88,500;
- Wyomissing Area School District, $236,558;
- And Olivet Boys & Girls Club of Reading & Berks County, $350,000.
“I commend the school districts and school-related programs for pursuing funding to strengthen safety initiatives,” Schwank said. “Berks County schools are consistently at the forefront of proactively providing safe school environments.”
Act 44 of 2018 created a School Safety and Security Fund for the purposes of providing funding to school districts for school safety and security concerns and addressing community violence. Part of Pennsylvania’s 2018-2019 budget included adding $60 million to the fund with $7.5 million for community anti-violence programs and the remaining $52.5 million for school safety.
Initial awards to school districts were made in October of 2018. The remaining $40 million was awarded today.
The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency received 638 applications for a total of $177.6 million in funding requests. After a review of each application, 234 applications requesting, $40 million, were approved Tuesday.